Have you ever wondered why some websites pop up on Google’s first page whenever you search a word or phrase? You’re probably thinking websites like these are pumping a good amount of funds on campaign ads. That is not the case, getting your website to Google’s first page is almost free. It’s called SEO. In simple terms, SEO means implementing the most probable searched keywords in a particular niche. For example, if you own a Sports shoe website, your prospective or target audience is most likely to be searching for words like “cheap sports shoes,” or “Nike sports shoes” on Google. By understanding what your customers are searching for and implementing those search keywords into your website content, you are implementing SEO practices, thereby optimizing your website for search engines.
What’s more interesting is that you don’t need to spend time brainstorming perfect keywords to implement SEO in your content; there are several free tools that can crawl the internet in seconds and get you a good number of frequently used Keywords. Some of the most popular keyword tools include Google Adwords and Keywords Everywhere.
What is SEO?
SEO stands for search engine optimization. Search engine optimization is the process of adjusting the content and general makeup of your website to make it more easily discoverable by search engines. The process indexes a site on a search engine’s result page, making it easier for content from that website to come up when users perform searches for related keywords.
SEO targets specific audiences and is a great way to grow your site’s traffic and engagement organically. It can also be used to target even more specific searches for images, videos, and news. To be successful with SEO, you first have to make sure that search engines can find your website and index it correctly, then you must make sure that your website appears in the top search results when someone types in keywords related to your niche.
How does SEO work?
Search engines look for three things in determining the SEO value of a document. They are:
- Keywords: A keyword is a term or phrase that search engine users regularly search. Including phrases such as these in the content of your website makes it easier for search engines to find it when people search for a related keyword. To determine which keywords to use, you can make use of a simple keyword research tool such as Google AdWords or Keywords Everywhere.
- Backlinks: Simply put, backlinks are the web links leading from your content to other pages, and from other pages to your own site. It is a bonus if the pages linking to and from your site are authority pages because Google uses backlinks as a mark of quality. It’s simple logic, if there are many links on the internet linking to your web content, there is a high chance that it is of good quality, right? Guest posting, using article directories, and external linking are good backlink building strategies.
- Descriptions: When indexing a website or page, Google makes use of meta descriptions to determine its relevance. To include an optimized meta description in your web content, ensure that your focus keyword is included in the topic of your article, that it is included in your URL, and that you include it in the portion of the article that is visible on search engine result pages. Google also considers the name of the website in this case. For example, a website called usedshoesforsale.com is more likely to come up in a search for used shoes for sale than a website that does not contain those specific keywords.
What can SEO do for your website?
The advantages of SEO for your website or business cannot be overemphasized. SEO is one of the best and fastest ways to improve your web presence and get new customers and visitors to your web pages, thereby potentially boosting your sales and brand awareness. Here are ten reasons why SEO is an absolute necessity for your website:
- SEO brings targeted, quality traffic to your website.
- SEO boosts your sales volume.
- SEO builds brand awareness and credibility.
- SEO helps you stay ahead of the competition.
- SEO is a primary source for lead generation.
- SEO boosts the UX of your website.
- SEO saves you a lot in marketing costs.
- SEO increases your social media following.
- SEO improves the speed of your website.
SEO is a gift to content creators, business owners, and websites because it gives everyone a level playing field to get discovered by prospective new clientele. By implementing the three basic rules of SEO, you can significantly increase the volume of your traffic and user engagement, rapidly generate more leads, and stay ahead of competitors in your niche. A search engine like Google generates over 63,000 searches per second of every day, which translates to 3.8 million searches per minute, 228 million searches per hour, and 5.6 billion searches per day! You do not want to miss out on that volume of potential traffic, and the best way to reap the benefits of this technological revolution is by optimizing your website for search engines.
The best part about SEO is that it is free. With just a few tweaks to your website and content, you too can begin reaping its massive benefits starting today.